Top 25 Remote Collaboration Tools for Teams (2022)
Remote work is at its peak since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in early 2020. According to Huffington Post, when asked what style of work they’d prefer, 38% of workers responded that they’d like a mix of remote and office work, with 27% saying they’d want to be fully remote . That’s why finding the right remote collaboration tools is so critical.
Because of this work shift, companies are discovering new resources that allow their employees to optimize productivity and efficiency while working from the comfort of their own homes. Below, we’ve put together a list of some of the best remote collaboration tools for work-from-home teams.
Video conferencing options
Zoom is a must for those who regularly attend or host virtual meetings as it offers free and paid video conferencing, including meeting rooms, integrations with other apps, chat, and a cloud phone system.
- High-quality HD video and audio.
- Host 1-on-1 meetings or group video conferences (host up to 500 participants).
- Easy screen sharing.
- Meeting and conference recording and transcription.
- Live group chat
- Streamlined calendar system that can integrate with Outlook, Gmail or iCal.
Zoom offers its customers 4 plans to choose from: Free, Pro ($14.99 per month), Business ($19.99 per month) and Enterprise ($19.99 per month) Additional add-on features are also available for added fees.
Schedule and launch virtual meetings or webinars with GoToMeeting , where users can call or log in to hear only the hosts talk. You can record these meetings and send them to team members later on.
- Group video conferencing (up to 1000 participants).
- Virtual whiteboard for collaboration, brainstorming or presenting.
- Add-ons available to sync scheduling with Outlook, Gmail or iOS calendars.
- Meeting Lock feature to host secure and confidential meetings.
GoToMeeting offers 3 pricing plans to choose from Professional ($14 per month) Business ($19 per month) and Enterprise (dependent on the organization’s needs).
Join.me is a tool facilitating easy and fast screen-share meetings. Not only can you schedule and launch quick virtual meetings with a screen-share function, you can also generate a shareable URL for your own personal meeting room so that people can log on whenever they’d like to meet with you.
- Designed to be easy-to-use for all audiences
- Professional video conferencing (up to 250 participants)
- Connect from anywhere using the join.me app on your mobile devices or on your computer.
- Useful meeting tools including screen sharing, annotations and presenter swap.
- Meeting scheduler available with Outlook or Google Calendar plugins.
Join.me offers 3 pricing plans for its customers: Lite ($10 per month) Pro ($20 per month) and Business ($30 per month).
4. Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is one of the most widely recognized video conference solutions. Businesses that already operate on Microsoft products have likely tried at least some of Teams’ features, but there’s plenty of features it can add to your hybrid office even if you’ve never delved into Microsoft’s suite of business tools.
- Screen and file sharing
- Real-time chat
- Custom backgrounds
- Scheduled meetings
- File attachments in chat up to 2 GB
- App integrations
Pricing: Microsoft Teams offers a free version with no time commitment. The Microsoft 365 Business Basic package costs $5.00/user/month; 365 Business Standard is $12.50/user/month; and Office 365 E3 comes in at $20.00/user/month (all prices are based on annual subscriptions).
Webex has been in the video conferencing space for a while, offering several segmented plans to ensure a package that fits best for your business’s size and needs. Organizations needing to hold multiple meetings simultaneously would benefit the most from this conferencing system.
- Screen sharing
- Mobile screen sharing
- Support for iPhone, iPad, Android and wearable devices
- Chat/notes/raise hand and polling features
- Save recordings to computer
- Fullscreen video with layout options
- Breakout sessions
- Virtual backgrounds
- Unlimited direct and group messaging
With its innovative transcription option and unlimited meeting recording capabilities, Dialpad is great for remote teams who want to preserve meeting content for future use. Its use of smart AI to analyze, annotate and enhance video meetings makes it a unique conferencing tool.
- Optional PIN-protected meeting access
- Unlimited number of conferences
- Unlimited call recording
- HD video and audio
- Voice Intelligence meeting transcription software
Pricing: Dialpad offers a free plan to get started. The business plan costs $20.00/month for a monthly subscription or $15.00/month for an annual subscription.
Project management tools
Designed to help teams manage and track their work, Asana is a cloud-based software that allows you to map out each detail of different projects within an organization. Asana is a comprehensive tool that enables you to set timelines, tasks, and expectations, as well as generate detailed progress reports and explore the project’s history.
- Task, project, and workflow management tools (timelines, portfolios, Kanban boards, to-do-lists, etc.).
- Pre-designed templates to help guide your projects.
- Real-time communication and reporting.
- Secure storage of project information and documents.
- Mobile app available for iOS and Android devices
- Third-party integrations (Slack, Google Calendar, Microsoft Office, etc.).
Asana has three pricing plans for customers to choose from: Basic (free), Premium ($10.99 per month) and Business ($24.99 per month).
Web-based tool Trello is jam-packed with powerful project-managing features. Users especially appreciate Trello’s function for visualizing project tasks. Trello offers boards, lists, and cards to let your team prioritize and organize your projects and visually track all of their components.
- Multiple viewing options for tasks, projects, and team progress.
- Pre-designed templates provide a blueprint for any project.
- Real-time communication features.
- Third-party integration with apps like Slack, Gmail, Dropbox, etc.
- iOS and Android mobile apps to help stay connected with your team when you’re on the go.
- Secure storage of project information and documents.
Trello has 4 pricing plans for its customers to choose from. Free ($0), Standard ($5 per month), Premium ($10 per month) and Enterprise ($17.50 per month)
Notion offers a diverse array of tools that can be used to discuss and plan projects, keep track of all your ideas, and efficiently share information with colleagues.
- Note-taking tools that allow you to create organized notes, share them with colleagues, and collaborate in real-time with your team.
- Project management features to assign tasks and create projects.
- Multiple project viewing options such as Table View, Calendar View, to-do lists, etc.
- Task boards with a flexible drag-and-drop editor.
- Secure storage of all your files and notes.
- Mobile app available for iOS or Android devices.
Notion offers 4 pricing plans for its users: Free, Personal Pro ($4 per month), Team ($8 per month) and Enterprise (price dependent on organization’s needs).
One of the most feature-rich document collaboration tools on the market, Bit.ai allows you to generate documents, quick notes, wikis, projects, knowledge bases, and training guides while simultaneously integrating other tools you use.
- Customizable workflow tools.
- Digital content storage and management.
- Collaborative document editor features, including access to almost 100 pre-designed templates.
- Easy document and media sharing, such as SoundCloud playlists, YouTube videos, Pinterest boards, tweets, and GIFs.
- Custom document branding tools.
There are 4 pricing plans that bit.ai customers can choose from starting with a Free plan. The other plans are the Pro Plan ($8 per user/per month) the Business Plan ($15 per user/per month) and the Enterprise plan (dependent on an organization’s needs)
Assembla’s niche is project management for web developers, although the app can be used for project management for all kinds of freelancing. Assembla produces reports, tracks time and tickets, and streamlines bug-fixing and product releases.
- Project management tools such as cardwalls and task boards.
- Built-in collaboration features for consistent communication between team members.
- AlphaScan analysis continuously checks source code security.
- Advanced security of software design process and information.
- Third-party integration with platforms such as Slack, Github, Trello and Jira.
There are 3 payment plans for Assembla: Starter ($12 per user/per month) Enterprise Cloud ($19 per user/per month) and Enterprise Self-Hosted (starting at $16 per user/per month).
Web task management platform Monday.com is designed for agencies and businesses, offering similar features to Trello and Asana like tracking the progress of tasks on a dashboard and assigning projects to team members. It has the additional function of letting marketing teams plan tasks with their budget in mind.
- Easy-to-use task management system
- Time-tracking tools
- A variety of dashboard options including team dashboards and budget dashboards.
- Pre-designed templates to reduce preparation time.
- Communication functions such as task comments and message boards.
- Third-party integration with Google Drive, Slack, Jira, GitLab, etc.
- Secure document storage.
- Mobile app available for iOS or Android devices.
Monday.com offers 5 pricing plans for its customers. The Individual plan is free, a Basic plan ($8-$10 per user/per month), the Standard plan ($10-$12 per user/per month), the Pro plan ($16-$20 per user/per month) and the Enterprise plan (price dependant on organization’s needs)
Good project management keeps hybrid offices up-to-date on important tasks, enforces deadlines and provides a platform to socialize, even for remote workers. Basecamp houses the finer details of a business’ day-to-day in an easy-to-use format.
- Message boards
- Team and individual calendars
- Group chat
- Easy file sharing
- Consolidates messaging and scheduling into one intuitive platform
Pricing: Personal Basecamp plans don’t include all features but come free to use. Business plans run $99/month flat, with capacity for unlimited users and projects.
Collaborative communication is essential for teams to stay on the same page over long distances or variable working hours. Flowdock acts as a team inbox, a live chat platform and a place to review important project updates and deadlines at a glance.
- Uses “Flows” to streamline messaging
- Can host private 1:1 conversations and coaching sessions
- Easy file sharing
- Quickly search for content so no work gets lost
- Shared integration inbox
Pricing: Flowdock offers a 30-day free trial, a limited standalone plan for $3/month per user, and the enterprise plan for $9/month per user.
Chat and quick communication
Slack is a communication tool that allows members of your company to stay connected. Teammates can chat with each other across channels, so ideas and projects remain organized. Additionally, you can reply to messages within threads to notify only those who need to stay in the loop.
- Company-wide and private messaging options.
- Ability to create private dedicated workspaces.
- File and media sharing.
- Third-party integration with valuable work tools (i.e. Google Drive, Asana, Trello, etc.).
- Video and voice calls available.
There are 4 pricing plans available for Slack users starting with a Free option. The other plans are Pro ($6.67 per user/per month), Business+ ($12.50 per user/per month) and Enterprise Grid (price depends on organization needs).
If you’re looking for an open-source team collaboration platform other than Slack, rocket.chat offers a great alternative for staying in close communication with your team. rocket.chat also integrates with various tools like Gmail, Trello, Google Docs, Freshdesk, and Dropbox to maximize productivity.
- HD audio and video calls.
- Real-time chat.
- Private and public messaging options.
- Screen, file and image sharing.
- Third-party integrations with Gmail, Dropbox, Trello, and many others.
- Latest security measures to ensure data and content are safe.
rocket.chat pricing includes a free Community plan and a Pro plan that costs $3 per user/per month. There is also an Enterprise plan (price dependent on organization needs) as well.
Remote collaboration tools for planning and tracking
Clockify is a timesheet app and time tracker that tracks work hours across projects. Use a stopwatch to track time, mark time as billable, or enter your hours manually. Clockify features a user-friendly dashboard that lets you see what your team is working on and where you spend time.
- Free to download and use basic features.
- Time tracking features to record hours worked or activities completed.
- Report generator is available to create summary, detailed or weekly reports.
- Project management tools such as team scheduling and expense recording.
- Can be accessed on your computer or mobile device.
- Third-party integration with QuickBooks, Asana, Gmail and more.
To use Clockify’s basic features there is no cost. To use Clockify’s advanced features there are 4 pricing options : Basic ($3.99 per user/per month), Standard ($5.49 per user/per month), Pro ($7.99 per user/per month) and Enterprise ($11.99 per user/per month).
Transfer information across apps takes up valuable time, luckily Zapier can do this for you. Zapier allows you to create convenient workflows between online apps to cut down on repetitive tasks that slow down your team’s productivity.
- Easy to create automated workflows (Zaps)
- Collaborate and share folders with your team.
- Zapier integrates with over 3,000 apps, including Google Drive, Slack, Trello, Zoom, QuickBooks, and more.
- Secure infrastructure to protect data.
There are 5 pricing options that Zapier users can choose from: Free, Starter ($19.99 per month) Professional ($49 per month), Team ($299 per month) and Company ($599 per month).
19. Time Doctor
For client productivity or billing purposes, you may need to keep an eye on how your team is spending their time. Time Doctor is a tool to create projects and start a clock when you and your team begin a new task. Time Doctor’s dashboard displays a report of the number of hours your team member has worked throughout the day and the projects they’ve spent the most time on.
- Time tracking and employee monitoring.
- Online timesheets and payroll features.
- Project management tools.
- Summary report generator.
- Accessible on all devices.
- Third-party integration with Asana, QuickBooks, Trello, Basecamp and more.
There are 3 pricing plans for Time Doctor users to choose from: Basic ($7 per user/per month), Standard ($10 per user/per month) and Premium ($20 per user/per month.
LucidChart is a platform built to convert hard data into visual formats such as flowcharts and diagrams — a crucial element of conveying important information in an easily digestible format that team members and clients alike can retain for future use.
- Auto-visualization tools
- Centralized account management for secure data storage
- Clean custom diagrams
- Working canvas capable of hosting multiple users in real-time
Pricing: A basic Free plan is available, as well as Individual ($7.95), Team ($9.00 per user) and Enterprise plans, which require a quote request.
Digital whiteboard apps are a common staple for the modern remote office. Miro acts as a visual collaboration tool designed to integrate with other work apps and provide a communal whiteboard experience. Entire teams can jump on at once and easily engage with data visualization — a difficult task in a traditional conference room.
- Digitize handwritten notes
- Allows real-time engagement with presentations
- Easily visualize roadmaps, team structures and brainstorming sessions
- Utilize ready-made templates
- Integrate with other remote tools and apps
Pricing: Four tiers of plans include Free, Team ($8/month per user), Business ($16/month per user) and Enterprise, which offers custom pricing for your company.
Visual aid assistance
Canva is similar to Adobe but designed to offer easy use for beginner designers. You can create team accounts to share design assets and templates remotely with your team members. The collaborative aspect makes sure you can edit and access any brand imagery or design files necessary while working from home.
- Ability to create various types of content including social media posts, resumes, and infographics.
- More than 50,000 pre-designed templates to get you started.
- Photo, image, and video editing.
- Can be used on your mobile devices.
- Video tutorials available to provide design assistance.
Canva has 3 pricing plans for customers to choose from: Free, Pro ($12.99 per month) and Enterprise (price dependent on organization needs).
Communicating a team announcement is often better done verbally. Use Loom to record a presentation or even just your voice to give your team a play-by-play or statement. You can generate a link to share the recording and circulate it across your organization’s communication channels.
- Audio, video and screen recording.
- Content management.
- Security and privacy features.
- Third-party integration with Slack, Notion, Gmail, and more.
- Accessible on your mobile devices.
There are 3 pricing plans Loom users can select: Starter (Free), Business ($8 per user/per month) and Enterprise (price dependent on organization’s needs).
24. Google Workspace (formerly G Suite)
Google Workspace is an affordable platform that lets your team collaborate on Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides, among other easy-to-use tools. You can even share a team calendar and generate work emails.
- Google Drive allows you to securely store many types of files in the cloud that can be shared internally and externally, allowing people to edit, comment, or simply view your work.
- Gmail has extremely large email storage space.
- Google Calendar integrates seamlessly with other Google products.
- Google Meet is a secure, enterprise-grade form of video conferencing. It allows up to 150 participants per call, and you can record video conferences for those who can’t make it .
- Google workspace also integrates with Microsoft Office.
Google Workspace’s pricing starts at $6 per user/per month for their Business Starter plan. The Business Standard plan is $12 per user/per month, the Business Plus plan is $18 per user/per month, and the customers must contact the sales department at Google to discuss the price of the Enterprise plan.
25. Vibe Smart Whiteboard
One crucial piece to any collaborative workplace is the whiteboard, but traditional boards can’t be used remotely. With Vibe, you can collaborate on a digital smartboard across different devices and easily send whiteboards to your coworkers.
The Vibe Smart Whiteboard is ideal for brainstorming, meeting and collaborating from anywhere. Vibe combines smart software and an interactive digital whiteboard to offer a comprehensive collaboration solution. Specifically designed for team collaboration, Vibe lets users pair their favorite applications with an infinite writing canvas to level up client presentations, brainstorming sessions and virtual training. Vibe’s high-quality touchscreen display helps you complete team projects with ease.
- Intuitive Touchscreen that allows you to draw, take notes, and annotate.
- Remote collaboration tools allow participants from anywhere in the world, on any device, to interact in real-time with whiteboard sessions.
- Advanced security features.
- Vibe’s open ecosystem allows you to use 100’s of third-party apps on their smartboards.
- Wireless screencasting.
- Available with a 55” or 75”screen.
- Optional portable stand available
Pricing: 55” Vibe boards cost $2,999, with additional screen sizes and accessories, such as portable stands and a Vibe stylus, available.
Boost productivity and communication
Everybody works a little differently, and everybody faces their own unique set of challenges. To increase productivity and facilitate collaboration between all remote employees, the best tools are essential. Working with a combination of remote collaboration tools can help to address these challenges and make your team a work-from-home success story.
Ready to go all-in on remote collaboration? Learn more about how the Vibe Smart Whiteboard benefits your business by watching this demo .
[Editor’s note: this post was originally published January 26, 2021 and updated March 9, 2022.]